Viết theo cấu trúc Mệnh đề quan hệ xác định (Defining relative clauses)
|For people||For things||For possession|
|Subject||Who/ that||Which/ that||Whose|
|Object||Who/ whom/ that||Which/ that||Whose|
- Subject relative pronouns: Đại từ quan hệ thay thế cho chủ ngữ của câu
Are you the person who telephoned here an hour ago?
Can you pick up the knife that/which has just fallen off the table?
- Object relative pronouns: Đại từ quan hệ thay thế cho tân ngữ của câu
That’s the woman (who/that) I met at Tony’s house.
Is this the book (that/which) you were reading last night?
- Possessive relative pronoun: Đại từ quan hệ thay thế cho tính từ sở hữu (my, your, his, her, our, their)
1. They are the workers. Their jobs are being cut
They are the workers whose jobs are being cut.
2. I couldn’t find the man. I’d taken his case by mistake.
I couldn’t find the man whose case I’d taken by mistake.
- Trong mệnh đề quan hệ mà đại từ thay thế cho tân ngữ thì đại từ quan hệ (who/that/which) thường được lược bỏ.
That’s the woman (who/whom/that) I met at Tony’s house.
Is this the book (which/ that) you were reading last night?
- Khi sử dụng mệnh đề quan hệ, lưu ý bỏ các đại từ he/she/him/her…
- She’s the one. I told you about her.
- I don’t like the people. They are staying with the Browns
- I like books. They make you think about things.
- I’m looking for the person. I’ve just hit their car.
- Most of the books are still popular today. I read them as a child.
- You can buy the pasta from that Italian shop. It has just opened in the high street.
- The woman is coming back to work soon. I’m doing her job.
- Is she the new television presenter? Everyone’s talking about her.
- People often have very little money to spend on leisure. They have a lot of leisure time.
- Is Technico the company? Sarah works for them.
- This is the job. I’ve always wanted it.
- The swimming pool is only open to the public in the mornings. I use it.
- We’ve just bought a computer package. It teaches you how to play the piano.
- My favourite holiday was that one. We spent it in a cottage in the mountains.
- We haven’t seen the friends for ten years. They are coming to visit us this weekend.