Viết theo cấu trúc câu điều kiện hỗn hợp (mixed conditional)
|If clause||Main clause|
|Type 3 + 2||S + Had + P2,
If he had studied harder,
|S + would/ could + V
He could do his homework now.
|Type 2 + 3||S + V-ed,
If I were you,
|S + would/could + V
I would have said goodbye to her.
- Chúng ta sử dụng câu điều kiện hỗn hợp khi điều kiện và kết quả không cùng xảy ra trong một khoảng thời gian. Ví dụ, điều kiện xảy ra trong quá khứ nhưng kết quả không phải trong quá khứ mà ở hiện tại thì ta dùng câu điều kiện hỗn hợp loại 3 + 2 (mệnh đề if chia theo câu điều kiện loại 3 và mệnh đề chính chia theo câu điều kiện loại 2)
- Ann carried heavy furniture when she helped her friend move. Her back hurts now.
Ann’s back wouldn’t hurt now if she had not carried heavy furniture when she helped her friend move.
- You didn’t check the figures before you signed the contract yesterday.
If I were you, i would have checked the figures before I signed the contract yesterday.
- I feel better now because you talked to me about my problems last night.
I wouldn’t feel better now if you hadn’t talked to me about my problems last night.
- He would feel very tired today if he had played rugby yesterday.
Because he played rugby yesterday, he feels very tired today.
- We didn’t eat all of the turkey at dinner last night, so we have to have turkey again tonight.
If we had eaten all of the turkey at dinner last night, we wouldn’t have to have turkey again tonight.
- Every muscle in my body aches today because I played basketball for three hours last night.
If I hadn’t played basketball for three hours last night, every muscle in my body wouldn’t ache today.
- If I hadn’t eaten lunch, I would not be hungry now.
I am hungry now because I didn’t eat lunch.
- Bob left his wallet at home this morning, and now he doesn’t have any money for lunch.
If Bob hadn’t left his wallet at home this morning, he would have some money for lunch now.
- The doctor doesn’t really care about his patients. He didn’t explain the medical procedure to me before surgery.
If the doctor really cared about his patients, he would have explained the medical procedure to me before surgery.
- Rita would not be exhausted today if she had got some sleep last night.
Rita is exhausted today because she didn’t get any sleep last night.