Viết theo cấu trúc ALTHOUGH = DESPITE/IN SPITE OF
|IN SPITE OF||NOUN PHRASE|
Although he has a lot of money, he isn’t happy.
In spite of having a lot of money, he isn’t happy.
- Khi sử dụng although/ even though/ though sẽ không dùng BUT.
- Khi sử dụng despite/ in spite of mà chủ ngữ hai mệnh đề không giống nhau thì sau despite/ in spite of thường dùng tính từ sở hữu my, his, her, their, our… hoặc sở hữu cách Tom’s…
- Although it rained we went to school.
Despite the rain, we went to school.
- In spite of his work hard, he failed the exam.
Although he worked hard, he failed the exam.
- They have tried to call him many times, but he didn’t answer.
Although they have tried to call him many times, he didn’t answer.
- Although she was very old, she was very graceful indeed.
In spite of her old age, she was very graceful indeed.
- Although his leg was broken, he managed to get out of the car.
Despite his broken leg, he managed to get out of the car.
- Although the company offered many promotions; they could not sell many products.
Despite offering many promotions, the company could not sell many products.
- Despite her poor performance, her fans cheered up.
Although she performed poorly, her fans cheered up.
- Small fishing boats continued to sail out though the coastguard had warned them not to do so.
Despite the coastguard’s warning, small fishing boats continued to sail out.
- Although he is old, he often plays tennis.
In spite of his age, he often plays tennis.
- Although she behaved badly, her mother forgave her.
Despite her bad behaviour, her mother forgave her.